ATTENTION: Beginning Fall 2017, out-of-state internship travel grant applications are now due no later than TWO months before the month of travel. See table below for new deadlines.
OFFICE HOURS – The Director of Travel, Alyssa Sherry, will be holding office hours at the Tempe Graduate Student Center to answer applicant questions about all GPSA travel grant programs. Office hours for Spring semester will be held weekly Mondays 12:30-2:30 PM starting January 8, 2018. Please visit her if you have questions about your application or would like feedback/advice before submission!
Program Overview & Eligibility Requirements
- The Internship Travel Reimbursement Program is designed to support graduate and professional students with the cost of travel to and from an internship or similar event (e.g., practicum, field placement, etc.).
- Applicants can seek reimbursement for up to $550 in travel per academic year.
- The internship can be either paid or unpaid and need not be for credit as long as it is relevant to the student’s program of study.
- Student must be enrolled at ASU for the duration of the internship or the following Fall semester (for summer applicants). Summer enrollment is not required.
- Applicants must upload a signed offer letter of internship on company/organization letterhead, with the internship supervisor’s contact information, the start and end dates of the internship, and (for local internships only) the number of days per week the applicant will be present at the internship site to the Required Supplementary Documents section of the grant application on ZoomGrants. No other documents are required.
- There are two options for Internship Travel Funding: local (driving mileage and parking fee reimbursement only) and out-of-state (roundtrip airfare only). Applicants will need to select one of these options on the application. Be sure to pay attention to the deadlines below.
BLIND REVIEW PROCESS
You MUST remove your name from any verbiage and/or documentation in your application, e.g. resumes/CVs, the signature line (please just initial as the directions state). Failure to do so negates the blind review process and will result in disqualification of the application.
Local Internships (Mileage, Local Transportation and Parking Fee Reimbursement Only)
- As mileage, local transportation (bus and taxi fare), and parking fees can be reimbursed retroactively, there is one deadline for local internships per semester, including the summer. The deadlines are as follows (all at 11:59PM, Arizona Time):
- Fall – November 1
- Spring – March 1
- Summer – July 1
- Because mileage and parking fees are reimbursed retroactively, applicants should begin tracking their mileage and keeping their parking receipts on the first day of their internships.
- Applicants must apply during the semester in which their internship takes place. To that end, the following timeframes fall within the purview of each application deadline:
- Fall – August 18, 2017 to January 9, 2018
- Spring – January 9, 2018 to May 16, 2018
- Summer – May 16, 2018 to August 17, 2018
Out-of-State Internships (Roundtrip Airfare Only)
- Because air travel must be approved by the GPSA business office prior to the trip, applications for out-of-state Internship Travel Grants will be accepted and reviewed monthly.
- Applications must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM AZ time on the 1st day of the month, TWO months prior to the month of departure. Example: If your internship begins November 22, the online application is due no later than September 1st at 11:59 PM AZ time.
- Applications are peer-reviewed monthly, after the 1st. Each month constitutes a travel funding cycle.
- You can apply no earlier than three funding cycles prior to your month of travel. Example, if traveling on November 22, you may choose to apply during the August funding cycle (due August 1). In this instance, you can request feedback, edit, and re-submit your application if not initially selected, but you MUST create a new application in ZoomGrants.
- With the exception of summer internships, all out-of-state internships must begin while the applicant is enrolled in at least one graduate credit at ASU. For summer internships, the applicant must be enrolled for the following Fall semester.
Important Points to Note
- Adhering to deadlines and providing complete, accurate information are essential to processing requests in a fair and orderly manner.
- To ensure the integrity of the application process, no exceptions to program guidelines or deadlines will be made.
- Due to ASU policy, GPSA cannot not fund airfare retroactively.
An applicant to the Internship Travel Reimbursement Program can be reimbursed for up to $550 in eligible travel expenses which include:
- Parking fees (non-campus related)
- Mileage reimbursement. Mileage is reimbursed at 44.5 cents per mile and is calculated as the distance from your campus to your destination and back.
- Local transportation (bus, train, or taxi fares).
- Cost of food or rental cars will NOT be reimbursed.
- Out-of-state airfare
- Covers ONLY the cost of roundtrip airfare.
How to Apply
- The Internship Travel Grant application is located on the ZoomGrants website. You must visit this direct link to GPSA’s ZoomGrants page to apply. See How To Submit Your Application in ZoomGrants for instructions. First-time users will have to create a new profile. If you are a reviewer, please make sure to use a SEPARATE email address than the one you have provided for your reviewer profile.
- Internship Travel Grant applicants are required to upload a signed offer letter of internship on company/organization letterhead, with the internship supervisor’s contact information, the start and end dates of the internship, and (for local internships only) the number of days per week the applicant will be present at the internship site to the Required Supplementary Documents section of the grant application on ZoomGrants.
- This is a requirement on ZoomGrants and more directions are provided directly in the application. We must have this document in order to score your application. Incomplete applications without required supplemental documentation will not be reviewed.
- Applications must be submitted by the appropriate deadline (see above). Applications submitted before the listed “open” date will not be reviewed.
- Be sure to complete the entire application. Applications missing information will not be selected for funding.
Applicants will be notified of the status of their application no later than the 30th of the month of the deadline. If an applicant does not receive an email notification, it is the applicant’s responsibility to inquire of his or her application status. Partial awards may be given
- Notification emails are sent to applicants approximately two to three weeks after each cycle deadline.
- Please add to your address book the email firstname.lastname@example.org as notifications are sent directly from the ZoomGrants system
Please note that all applicants for any GPSA program must submit their own unique, individual applications to all GPSA-funded programs. Students are not permitted to take any portion of content from prior student awardees for any reason whatsoever. Any student caught using the work (in any portion) from another student or copying their own material from a prior application will be considered in violation of GPSA’s policy. Such action will prohibit the student in question from being eligible for the current application in consideration, and may inhibit eligibility for future GPSA funding applications. In summary, each application must be your own original work.
Given that we are a student entity within Arizona State University, GPSA mandates that all students act within the university’s academic integrity policy found HERE.
Log-In to ZoomGrants Directly from GPSA Page
Applicants may use the link below to log-in and apply for travel grant funding from this page.