ATTENTION: Beginning Fall 2017, travel grant applications are now due no later than TWO months before the month of travel. See table below for new deadlines.
OFFICE HOURS – The Director of Travel, Alyssa Sherry, will be holding office hours at the Tempe Graduate Student Center to answer applicant questions about all GPSA travel grant programs. Office hours for Spring semester will be held weekly Mondays 12:30-2:30 PM starting January 8, 2018. Please visit her if you have questions about your application or would like feedback/advice before submission!
The GPSA Group Travel Grant was established in Spring 2013 by Megan Fisk, a past GPSA president. It is designed to support groups of ASU graduate and professional students in their regional, national, and international travel.
Program Overview & Eligibility Requirements
- Any group or team of ASU graduate and professional students, across all four campuses, is eligible for this award.
- Travel must be to an event where the members of the group participate together (e.g symposium, panel discussion, roundtable, competition, performance, etc.).
- Groups should be comprised of at least two, but no more than seven, graduate students.
- Each group is eligible for up to $950 per group member every fiscal year (July 1 to June 30)
- Each member of the team must justify why their presence at the event is critical to the integrity of the event.
- Travel must be directly related to the applicants’ graduate program of study.
- This grant does not support a graduate student organization or sports teams.
- This grant will support groups such as: (this is not an exhaustive list)
- Debate teams
- A quartet of musicians
- Academic Bowl
- Engineering teams
- Previous recipients of the Group Travel grant will be considered, but preference will be given to first time applicants.
- All group members need to be registered for at least 1 graduate-level credit at the time of application and at the time of travel.
BLIND REVIEW PROCESS
You MUST remove your name from any verbiage and/or documentation in your application, e.g. resumes/CVs, the signature line (please just initial as the directions state). Failure to do so negates the blind review process and will result in disqualification of the application.
- Because air travel must be approved by the GPSA business office prior to the travel, applications for out-of-state group travel grants will be accepted and reviewed monthly.
- Applications are peer-reviewed monthly, after the 1st. Each month constitutes a travel funding cycle.
- Applications must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM AZ time on the 1st day of the month, TWO months prior to the month of departure. The table below provides the application submission deadlines for each month of travel. For example, if you are traveling on November 22, your application is due no later than September 1st at 11:59 PM AZ time.
- You can apply no earlier than three funding cycles prior to your month of travel. Example, if traveling on November 22, you may choose to apply during the August funding cycle (due August 1). In this instance, you can request feedback, edit, and re-submit your application if not initially selected, but you MUST create a new application in ZoomGrants.
- With the exception of summer travel, all group travel must begin while the applicants are enrolled in at least one graduate credit at ASU. For summer group travel, the applicants must be enrolled for the following Fall semester.
- Adhering to deadlines and providing accurate, complete information are essential to processing requests in a fair and orderly manner. In order to ensure the integrity of the application process, no exceptions will be made to program guidelines or deadlines.
Important Points to Consider
- Adherence to deadlines and providing complete and accurate information is essential to processing requests in a fair and orderly manner.
- To ensure the integrity of the application process, no exceptions to program guidelines or deadlines will be made. Due to ASU policy, GPSA cannot fund airfare retroactively.
- The Group Travel Grant will cover costs of airfare, fuel/mileage if driving your own vehicle, ground transportation (taxi, shuttle services, trains, public transportation), hotels/lodging, meals, and event registration.
- The cost of your meals can be calculated using the daily rate determined by ASU (per diem) for your destination. To determine this rate, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/travel-perdiem
- The Travel Grant will NOT cover the cost of rental cars, phone calls, internet access charges, poster printing, or any expense prohibited by university policy.
- Expenses paid in cash are not reimbursable. Only pay with credit card or check.
- One-Way Fares: If you decide to purchase two one-way airfares instead of a round-trip fare, you will need to print a quote of a round-trip fare at the time your one-way fares were booked, in order to demonstrate to the ASU Travel Department that the round-trip fare is in fact more expensive.
- GPSA will not give travel advances for any reason.
Applicants will be notified of the status of their application no later than the 30th of the month of the deadline. If an applicant does not receive an email notification, it is the applicant’s responsibility to inquire of his or her application status. Partial awards may be given
- Notification emails are sent to applicants approximately two to three weeks after each cycle deadline.
- Please add to your address book the email email@example.com as notifications are sent directly from the ZoomGrants system.
How to Apply
- Groups should select a representative who will submit ONE application for the entire group. DO NOT submit an application for each individual group member.
- The Group Travel Grant application is located on the ZoomGrants website. You must visit this direct link to GPSA’s ZoomGrants page to apply. See How To Submit Your Application in ZoomGrants for instructions. First-time users will have to create a new profile. If you are a reviewer, please make sure to use a SEPARATE email address than the one you have provided for your reviewer profile.
- Applicants are also required to submit a Group Travel Supplementary Form, as notated in ZoomGrants. Applications without required supplemental documentation will not be reviewed.
- Be sure to complete the entire application. Applications missing information will not be selected for funding.
- If the application is approved for funding, each representative from the group will be required to submit their own travel request in the My ASU Trip System before embarking on their trip. Within ten days of returning from their trip, each representative is then required to submit their own expense report in the My ASU Trip System. Instructions for how to navigate the Concur My ASU Trip System can be found here as well as in your travel grant acceptance letter.
- If you have any questions, please ask them in the Travel Grants section of the GPSA Forum
Please note that all applicants for any GPSA program must submit their own unique, individual applications to all GPSA-funded programs. Students are not permitted to take any portion of content from prior student awardees for any reason whatsoever. Any student caught using the work (in any portion) from another student or copying their own material from a prior application will be considered in violation of GPSA’s policy. Such action will prohibit the student in question from being eligible for the current application in consideration, and may inhibit eligibility for future GPSA funding applications. In summary, each application must be your own original work.
Given that we are a student entity within Arizona State University, GPSA mandates that all students act within the university’s academic integrity policy found HERE.