The information on this page is specific to the Jumpstart Research Grant. For important information that relates to ALL grant programs, please visit the General Research Grant Information page.
**The website is being constantly updated, we encourage applicants to check back for the most current information.
The Jumpstart Research Grant Program is a merit-based award designed to give graduate students seed money (up to $750) to “jumpstart” their pilot studies, programs for larger grant applications, new/ novel aspects or applications of their current research, or smaller fine arts and media projects.
Jumpstart grant proposals CAN be related to your dissertation or thesis, but the aims/objectives of the grant CANNOT be the same as a grant GPSA has previously awarded you. Grant writing should be original if it is a new submission and written by the applicant.
Graduate students may be awarded multiple Jumpstart Grants over their course at ASU, but no more than once per semester as defined by the deadlines below.
- All deadlines are the FIRST of the month, by 11:59 PM AZ time.
Spring semester: January 1, February 1, March 1, April 1Summer semester: May 1, June 1, July 1Fall semester: August 1, September 1, October 1, November 1, December 1
- Late applications will not be considered. Students will be notified of their award status no later than the 30th of the month. If you do not receive notification of your award within the time-frame specified, it is your obligation to inquire as to the status of your application.
The principal investigator must be a graduate student in good academic standing and enrolled in at least 1 credit hour at Arizona State University for the entire semester in which the grant is awarded. Online students are NOT eligible for GPSA Jumpstart Grant funding.
To be eligible for the Summer Jumpstart Grants, you must be enrolled in at least 1 credit hour at Arizona State University during the following fall semester (i.e., enrolled in at least 1 credit hour for Fall 2021 semester if applying for the 2021 Summer grants) or be planning to enroll in 1 credit hour for Fall 2021. Note that grants work on a reimbursement basis and receipts for expenses cannot be submitted or refunded if you are no longer a student.
You cannot submit an application with a co-applicant or co-author. Each student applies for their own independent project funding.
The grant will provide reimbursement for items on an applicant’s budget. However, the committee may decide to fund some items, but not all. This program will reimburse purchases made by the individual graduate student awarded the Jumpstart grant. This program is intended for students’ small research-related expenses such as:
- Equipment rental
- Materials and supplies
- Some animals required for animal studies (check with GPSA leadership or business office for eligibility)
- Professional services for data analysis, typing, transcription, or copying
- Tangible participant incentives – Cash equivalent for participant incentives (i.e. gift cards; $25 maximum per participant)
- Biological supplies or chemicals must be purchased through the applicant’s school or department. The department will then be reimbursed through a transfer (up to the award amount).
Expenses that are NOT eligible for reimbursement under this program include:
- Equipment purchase (no laptops, no camera, etc.)
- Purchases made by departments, faculty, or by other grant funds; some toxic scientific chemicals (check with GPSA leadership or business office for eligibility);
- Travel (of any kind);
- Tuition, food, or remuneration of time spent on project;
- Terminal publication charges (thesis or dissertation);
- Salaries and wages for research assistants;
- Items or services that require the university to enter into a contract with any non-approved vendor; and
- Any other expense prohibited by university policy or deemed ineligible by the program’s administrators.
*Team members/individuals cannot be paid for time put into research.
Eligible Dates for Reimbursement
All receipts are due no later than sixty (60) days after the expenses, but no later than Saturday May 15th, 2021 by 11:59 PM AZ time (NOTE: exceptions for this deadline CANNOT be made under any circumstances).
Receipts must be submitted to our business office within sixty (60) days of the purchase to be eligible for reimbursement. Original receipts are required for reimbursement.
Questions about the reimbursement process? Contact GPSA Office Specialist, Jessica Thompson via email.
Receive an Award? Click here for more information on awardee responsibilities.
Please use a browser with frames enabled to view and apply for our grants.