NOTE: The deadline for Fall 2019 will be August 1, 2019 at 11:59PM AZ time.
The information on this page is specific to the JumpStart Research Grant. For important information that relates to ALL grant programs, please visit the General Research Grant Information page.
- Fall 2018: Monday, October 1, 2018, by 11:59 PM AZ time
- Spring 2019: Tuesday, January 1, 2019, by 11:59 PM AZ time
- Summer 2019: Monday, April 1, 2019, by 11:59 PM AZ time
- ****Fall 2019: Thursday, August 1, 2019, by 11:59 PM AZ time
The JumpStart Research Grant Program is designed to give graduate students seed money (up to $500) to jumpstart their research endeavors. With the money, we hope graduate students will be able to complete pilot studies, programs for larger grant applications, or smaller fine arts and media projects. To be eligible for the Jumpstart Grants (during the Fall/Spring cycles), the principal investigator must be a graduate student in good academic standing and enrolled in at least 1 credit hour at Arizona State University for the entire semester in which the grant is awarded. To be eligible for the Summer Jumpstart Grants, the principal investigator must be a graduate student in good academic standing and enrolled in at least 1 credit hour at Arizona State University during the following fall semester (During the Fall 2018 semester if applying for the 2018 Summer grants).
Current ASU graduate students in good academic standing may apply for up to $500. All Graduate Students at Arizona State University, enrolled in at least 1 credit hour for the duration of the semester are eligible for this merit-based award.
You cannot submit an application with a co-applicant or co-author. Each student applies for their own independent project funding.
The grant will provide reimbursement for items on an applicant’s budget. However, the committee may decide to fund some items, but not all. This program will reimburse purchases made by the individual graduate student awarded the JumpStart grant. Original receipts are required for reimbursement. This program is intended for students’ small research-related expenses such as:
- Equipment rental
- Materials and supplies
- ***Biological supplies must be purchased through the applicant’s school or department. The department will then be reimbursed through a transfer (up to the award amount).
- Tangible participant incentives – Cash equivalent for participant incentives (i.e. gift cards; $25 maximum per participant)
- Professional services for data analysis, typing, transcription, or copying
Expenses that are NOT eligible for reimbursement under this program include:
- Equipment purchase (no laptops, no camera, etc.)
- Purchases made by departments, faculty, or by other grant funds; scientific chemicals;
- Travel (of any kind);
- Tuition, food, or remuneration of time spent on project;
- Terminal publication charges (thesis or dissertation);
- Salaries and wages for research assistants;
- Items or services that require the university to enter into a contract with any non-approved vendor; and
- Any other expense prohibited by university policy or deemed ineligible by the program’s administrators.
*Team members/individuals cannot be paid for time put into research.
Receipts for both Fall and Spring funding due: Saturday, June 1, 2019 by 11:59 PM AZ time (NOTE: exceptions for this deadline CANNOT be made under any circumstances)
Receipts for reimbursement due: Late April (date will be posted soon)
Late applications will not be considered. Electronic submissions are required. If you do not receive notification of your awards within the time-frame specified above, it is your obligation to inquire as to the status of your application.
Eligible Dates for Reimbursement
- For Fall/Spring JumpStart Awards, reimbursements will be granted for eligible purchases that occur between July 1, 2018 and April 28, 2019.
- For Summer JumpStart Awards, reimbursements will be granted for eligible purchases that occur between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019.
All receipts and proof of purchases will be due by July 15th, 2019***.
***NOTE: The July 15th, 2019 refers to the due date of receipts/proofs of purchase, not the end of the spending cycle. That is, any purchases/expenses that occur after June 30th, 2019 will NOT be eligible for reimbursement under the Summer Grants.
Questions about the reimbursement process? Contact GPSA Office Specialist, Siera McLellan via email.