JumpStart Research Grant
LOCATION: Downtown Campus
START DATE: March 31st, 2015
START DATE: March 31st, 2015
LOCATION: Tempe Campus
START DATE: April 02nd, 2015
LOCATION: Tempe Campus
START DATE: April 03rd, 2015
P.O. Box 873402
Tempe, AZ 85287-3402
Phone: (480) 727-9870
This program is designed to give graduate students seed money (up to $500) to jumpstart their research endeavors. With the money, we hope graduate students will be able to complete pilot studies, programs for larger grant applications, or smaller fine arts and media projects. To be eligible for this grant, the principal investigator must be a graduate student in good academic standing and enrolled in at least 1 credit hour at Arizona State University for the entire semester in which the grant is awarded.
Purpose of the Grant
- To promote excellence in graduate education at Arizona State University;
- To recognize and support quality graduate student research;
- To provide financial support for research projects that are not eligible for other sources of funding or for which funding is difficult to obtain;
- To provide financial support for startup projects, pilot projects, and small self-contained research projects (e.g. research leading to conference papers) that are not eligible for other GPSA or ASU programs;
- To provide graduate students with experience in developing grant proposals; and,
- To build Arizona State University’s reputation as a leading research institution.
Current ASU graduate students in good academic standing may apply for up to $500. All Graduate Students at Arizona State University, enrolled in at least 1 credit hour for the duration of the semester are eligible for this merit-based award.
Fall Semester Competition
Online application available: Friday, August 1, 2014
Submission deadline: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 5:00 PM AZ time
Awards announced: Early or Mid-December
Receipts for reimbursement due: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 5:00 PM AZ time*
Spring Semester Competition
Online application available: Monday, January 5, 2015
Submission deadline: Friday, February 13, 2015, 5:00 PM AZ time
Awards announced: Mid-March
Receipts for reimbursement due: Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 5:00 PM AZ time*
*expenses can be incurred as far back as July 1, 2014
Late applications will not be considered. Electronic submissions are required. If you do not receive notification of your awards within the time-frame specified above, it is your obligation to inquire as to the status of your application.
Reimbursements will be granted for eligible purchases made since July 1, 2014.
The grant will provide reimbursement for items on an applicant’s budget. However, the committee may decide to fund some items, but not all. This program will reimburse purchases made by the individual graduate student awarded the JumpStart grant. Original receipts are required for reimbursement. This program is intended for students’ small research-related expenses such as:
- Equipment rental
- Materials and supplies
- Tangible participant incentives
Expenses that are NOT eligible for reimbursement under this program include:
- Equipment purchase (no laptops, no camera, etc.)
- Purchases made by departments, faculty, or by other grant funds; scientific chemicals;
- Non-tangible participant incentives in the form of cash or cash-equivalents (e.g., gift cards or gift certificates);
- Participant incentives valued at more than $100;
- Transcription/translation/editing or other services;
- Travel (of any kind);
- Tuition, food, or remuneration of time spent on project;
- Terminal publication charges (thesis or dissertation);
- Salaries and wages for research assistants;
- Items or services that require the university to enter into a contract with any non-approved vendor; and
- Any other expense prohibited by university policy or deemed ineligible by the program’s administrators.
Final Report & Receipts
Along with original receipts and documentation, award recipients must provide the GPSA Vice President of Internal Affairs a brief summary report (no more than 1 page is necessary) describing the project and how the funds directly benefited the project. Excerpts from the report may be used in future program materials as testimonials. The applicant must also complete a “Request for Funds” form, also available in the GPSA business office. A separate form must be completed for each purchase.
All research carried out under the sponsorship of ASU is subject to all of the University’s research policies and procedures. In particular, investigators conducting projects that involve human subjects, laboratory animals, biohazards, recombinant DNA, etc., must obtain the necessary approvals before commencing work. Project PIs are solely responsible for obtaining Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval for subject participation prior to GPSA project implementation. Applicants must submit a copy of their completed IRB form (if required) or IRB approval (or exemption) letter. For more information on ASU’s Institutional Review Board (Human Subjects), please visit their website.
All written products produced wholly or in part as a result of these funds must contain the following acknowledgment: This project was supported (or partially supported) by the Arizona State University Graduate and Professional Student Association’s JumpStart Grant Program. Awardees must also agree to present their research during Grad Appreciation Week.
The GPSA and its administrators are not responsible for technological failure. Technical support can be contacted by visiting the application website. The GPSA and its administrators are also not responsible for any lost, destroyed, or otherwise delayed applications; for any resulting loss or revertment of funds by their own negligence. Further, no awards are guaranteed and the GPSA Vice President of Internal Affairs may rescind any grant for any reason at any time without prior notification. Program guidelines are subject to change at any time, with or without notice.
By submission of an application, the applicant agrees that they have read and agreed to all the rules of the program and that the information on the application is true and complete to the best of the applicant’s knowledge. View a sample application form.
- Applicants must review all program guidelines and instructions.
- Applicants who have not applied for GPSA funding of any type on Nimble-Net in the past must create a Nimble-Net user profile.
- Applicants must complete and submit an online application before the submission deadline (see guidelines for specific dates and times).
- Media and Fine Arts applicants must submit all portfolio materials in PDF format, uploaded within the Nimble-Net application.
- Applicants should ensure that their budget is complete and fully justified.
- Applications that are incomplete or are not submitted in accordance with the program guidelines will not be considered for this award.
Step-by-Step Application Checklist
Your application may be revised and edited on Nimble-Net until it is submitted. You must click submit in Step 4 before the deadline to be eligible. To edit a started application or begin a new application with an existing profile, go to http://www.nimble-net.com/gpsa and log on using your Nimble-Net user ID and password.
- Create a profile in the Nimble-Net system if you do not already have a user/applicant profile
- Nimble-Net requires separate profiles for judges and applicants. If you have a Nimble-Net judge profile from reviewing for a competition, but have never created a regular user profile, you will need to create a separate user/applicant profile with a unique email address in order to apply for a grant.
- Log in and select “JumpStart Research Grant” from the drop-down list for the current academic year. The application will not be available before the opening date listed above.
- Click “Start a new application” from the Action Menu
- Step 1: Enter your application data
- Step 2: Click the ‘Agree to rules’ link or select ‘agree to rules’ from the Project Action Menu
- Step 3: Answer all of the application questions
- Step 4: Upload your CV (and portfolio document(s) if you are submitting a media/fine arts proposal)
- Step 5: Review and Submit your application
- Receive an email confirmation that your application was submitted
Help and Troubleshooting
For help with using Nimble-Net, check the top right corner of the browser window when you log in. FAQs are regularly updated. Please refer any questions about your application or this grant program to the Director of Graduate Research or the Vice President of Internal Affairs.
Past Award Recipients
Arizona State University
Graduate & Professional Student Association
Associated Students of Arizona State University
P.O. Box 873402
Tempe, AZ 85287-3402