Graduate Student Organizations (GSOs) may apply for GPSA funding to support ASU events. Applications are limited to $2,000 per event, and may include requests for funding for several events (up to $2,000 each) up to 3 but no later than 1 month in advance. All expenses must receive prior approval before purchase to be eligible for reimbursement. Please read the following instructions carefully. All directions must be completed in their entirety. No exceptions will be made to the Funding Policy for any reason. Please note: Funding is not guaranteed. GSO’s are encouraged to apply for funding as early as possible in accordance with GSO funding deadlines. In addition, GSO’s are encouraged to seek multiple funding streams for their events.
Scheduled site maintenance will occur during September 2019.
Please review the website page carefully for updates.
Before you start
- Make sure your organization is registered through EOSS and listed on SunDevilSync.
- Review these documents:
- GSO Funding Guide (this includes rules, policies, and how-to steps to apply for funding)
- GSO Spending Guide (this includes rules, policies, and best practices for spending)
- Policy and Procedure document (for detailed information on all GSO formal funding policies: updated 9/9/2019)
- GPSA Sustainability Best Practices Guide (this includes recommendations on how your event can support ASU’s commitment to sustainability)
- Review the How-to Submit your budget in SunDevilSync Guide
Submitting Your Application
The GSO Funding Application will be closed for scheduled maintenance from September 6th, 2019 to September 13th, 2019.
As of August 14th, 2019, GSO Funding uses Engage (SunDevilSync) for all budget submissions.
Please submit your budget request through your GSO’s SunDevilSync here
The deadline for GSO Funding applications is on the 1st of the month before the month of your event date. Organizations are always encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
- GSO’s can apply for funding three months prior to your event date
- Large Budget applications should apply ASAP for funding
- GPSA cannot fund events:
- Events held after the end of Fall classes 12/6/2019 through 1/13/2020
- Events following spring graduation 5/11/2020 through the start of Fall 2020 classes
|Month of Event||Earliest Submission Date||Latest Submission Date|
|August *No funding before 8/22||July 1||July 15|
|September||July 1||August 1|
|October||August 1||September 1|
|November||September 1||October 1|
|December *No funding after 12/14||October 1||November 1|
|January *No funding before 1/13||November 1||December 1|
|February||December 1||January 1|
|March||January 1||February 1|
|April||February 1||March 1|
|May *No funding after 5/11||March 1||April 1|
GSO’s will be notified of their request’s approval no more than five days after the General Assembly meets during their monthly meeting. If approved, GSO’s will connect with Business Specialist Sr. Jemell Nelson to work on their reimbursement forms. GSO’s will be emailed their next steps after Assembly approval. Please contact Jemell Nelson (Jemell.Nelson@asu.edu ) with any questions about the next steps.
Same Forms for After Approval
Beginning your Payment Request, be sure to title it as GPSA: GSO [INSERT GSO NAME]
This is necessary in order to find, review, and process the Payment Request. If you do not title it correctly, it is the GSO’s responsibility to coordinate with the business office specialist for approval (i.e. communicate with business office specialist, provide the necessary documents, etc.). GPSA will not give exceptions for late Payment Requests due to this reason.
GSO Committee Meeting Schedule
GSO Funding and Outreach Meetings (Meetings held at the Tempe GSC from 10-11AM unless otherwise specified)
**Assembly meetings are closed meetings to the GSO Funding Committee unless otherwise specified.
- July 16, 2019 (Summer Operations Meeting Location TBD)
- August 16, 2019 (Friday–Digital Meeting via Zoom)
- September 13, 2019 (Friday)
- October 4, 2019 (Friday)
- November 8, 2019 (Friday)
- December 2, 2019 (Monday 9-10AM)
- January 10, 2020 (Friday)
- February 7, 2020 (Friday)
- March 6, 2020 (Friday)
- April 3, 2020 (Friday)
GPSA considers the number of ASU graduate students served, the level of service offered to the university, the enhancement of student professionalism, and the availability of alternative funding sources when making funding decisions. Although requests for department-level events and food for small gatherings will be considered, these are deemed a lower priority to events that appeal to wider audiences of graduate and professional students.
The following events cannot be funded by the Assembly, as per university policy:
- Activities that subsidize any ASU administrative services
- Activities that discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation
- Activities that have already occurred, prior to Assembly approval
- Activities that support referenda or candidates for elected office
- Activities that are limited to single political partisanship –i.e. if you’re turning people away because of a political affiliation we cannot fund you
- Honorariums for faculty or staff of ASU
- Events hosted at private residences will not be considered for funding -i.e. a professor or student’s house
- Events hosted outside of the state of Arizona (see funding guide for details)
- T-shirts over the amount of $250.00
This list is not all-inclusive; please see the GSO Funding Information document for comprehensive details.
Assembly President Pro Tempore – Nicole K. Mayberry
Assembly President – Peter Crank
You can also ask questions in the Graduate Student Organization/Event Funding section of the GPSA Forum.