General Funding Application Process
**Please note as of Fall 2018 this process is subject to change. Notifications to follow**
Please read the following instructions carefully. All directions must be completed in their entirety.
No exceptions will be made to the Funding Policy for any reason.
Graduate Student Organizations (GSOs) may apply for GPSA funding to support ASU events. Applications are limited to $2,000 per event, and may include requests for funding for several events (up to $2,000 each) up to 3 months in advance. All expenses must receive prior approval before purchase to be eligible for reimbursement.
Before you start…
- Make sure your organization is registered through EOSS and listed on OrgSync.
- Review the GSO Funding Information document.
- For a detailed information on all policies, review the Policy and Procedure document for detailed requirements.
- Prepare a budget for your event (see the template, small example, large example)
- It is required you use one of the above templates for your budget.
- Contact an Assembly Member to discuss your application and be your sponsor. Your sponsor can be any available Assembly Member.
- An in-person meeting is not required; email correspondence is fine to secure sponsorship from an Assembly Member. Please note: if your Assembly Member cannot attend the meeting in person or via phone call, you should secure another member.
- Your Assembly Sponsor must review the Sponsor Checklist Form found here and provide feedback to GSO’s. Feedback based on the checklist is an application requirement.
- Please Note: All GSO’s should reach out to their Assembly Sponsor at least five (5) days before submitting a funding application to ensure the Assembly Sponsor has enough time to review and discuss the application material. We suggest applicants contact multiple Assembly Members in case one is unavailable. Summary of a live (phone or in-person) conversation with the sponsoring Assembly Member is a mandatory part of the application, so the earlier applicants connect with an Assembly Member the better.
Submitting Your Application…
Complete the online GSO Funding form
- Attend the monthly GPSA Assembly Operations Committee’s Funding Review Board session (see below for schedule). Your GSO member must present your application in person or via phone (If your GSO will be calling in they must notify the President Pro Tempore in advance for permission).
- You will be notified by the Assembly Operations Committee within five (5) business days after the next general Assembly Meeting (schedule here) if your application has been approved.
- Review the GPSA Assembly Post-Event Funding Packet and prepare required forms
- Submit an Event Request Form to have your event featured on the GPSA website. This is REQUIRED for all GSO events that receive funding from GPSA.
- NOTE: If your GSO receives funding from GPSA, you are required to meet with the GPSA Specialist, Senior.
- If the date of your event changes, you must notify GPSA Assembly President Pro Tempore as soon as possible and the GPSA Specialist, Senior. You must notify us BEFORE the date of your event to receive reimbursement. Note: date changes cannot be before the month that your GSO received funding for.
- Submit forms & receipts to the Office Specialist, Senior. within ten (10) calendar days after your event*
- Reimbursement will be awarded in 30-60 days.
*Note: If your organization is using a campus vendor, such as Aramark, then order/payment information should be sent via email to the Office Specialist, Sr. as it is placed with your name and your GSO name. Failure to submit reimbursement materials on time will result in denial of funds.
GSO Committee Meeting Schedule
GSO Application due dates (by 11:59pm)
- July 9, 2018
- August 1, 2018
- September 1, 2018
- October 1, 2018
- November 1, 2018
- December 1, 2018
- January 1, 2019
- February 1, 2019
- March 1, 2019
- April 1, 2019
GSO Funding and Outreach Meetings (Meetings held at GSC from 10-11AM)
- July 16, 2018 (5-6PM held at GSC)
- August 10, 2018 (Friday)
- September 14, 2018 (Friday)
- October 12, 2018 (Friday)
- November 3, 2018 (Friday)
- December 3, 2018 (Monday)
- January 11, 2019 (Friday)
- February 8, 2019 (Friday)
- March 2019 (TBD)
- April 12, 2019 (Friday)
The deadline for GSO Funding applications is on the 1st of the month before the month of your event date. Please note the July deadline.
Starting in August 2018 the deadline for GSO Funding applications is on the 1st of the month before the month of your event date.
Please Note: Due to holidays and office closures, we cannot fund events between 12/5/2018 through 1/6/2019. We also do not fund events following graduation through July.
GPSA considers the number of ASU graduate students served, the level of service offered to the university, the enhancement of student professionalism, and the availability of alternative funding sources when making funding decisions. Although requests for department level events and food for small gatherings will be considered, these are deemed a lower priority to events that appeal to wider audiences of graduate and professional students.
The following events cannot be funded by the Assembly, as per university policy:
- Activities that subsidize any ASU administrative services
- Activities that discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation
- Activities that have already occurred, prior to Assembly approval
- Activities that support referenda or candidates for elected office
- Activities that are limited to a single political partisanship – if you’re turning people away because of a political affiliation we cannot fund you
- Honorariums for faculty or staff of ASU cannot be processed by GPSA
This list is not all inclusive; please see the GSO Funding Information document for comprehensive details.
Assembly President Pro Tempore – Nicole Mayberry
Assembly President – Nich Weller
You can also ask questions in the Graduate Student Organization/Event Funding section of the GPSA Forum.