Arijit Guha Graduate Student Advocacy Awards
No upcoming events scheduled...
P.O. Box 873402
Tempe, AZ 85287-3402
Phone: (480) 727-9870
The Graduate and Professional Student Association (GPSA) proudly announces the Arijit Guha Graduate Student Advocacy Awards. These awards are designed to recognize and reward ASU graduate students’ involvement, service, and leadership in advancing a particular cause through advocacy efforts.
The Arijit Guha Graduate Student Advocacy Award is in memory of an ASU graduate student, Arijit Guha, who was taken by colon cancer. Arijit brought unprecedented attention to the issue of coverage caps in student health care through his Poopstrong campaign. He raised over $100,000 for his treatment through this viral grassroots efforts which was led by graduate students at ASU. Upon finding the coverage he needed for his treatment, he donated thousands of dollars to local nonprofits and research centers dedicated to fighting cancer.
GPSA will provide two monetary awards to students enrolled in a graduate or professional program who demonstrate excellence in their advocacy efforts to advance a particular cause. Preference will be given to advocacy efforts carried out since January 2012. Participation in any cause is acceptable. Some examples include hunger, poverty, student debt, education, research funding, open education, human rights, immigrant rights, peace, etc. The awards reward students’ excellence in advocating for a cause, and are not intended to reward a cause itself. Each award totals a $1000 monetary participation award. The two Arijit Guha Graduate Student Advocacy recipients will be honored during a GPSA reception in April 2015.
All current graduate and professional students, across all four campuses, are eligible for these awards. Applications will begin to be considered starting March 1, 2015. Applicants must plan to continue their advocacy efforts until the end of the Spring 2015 semester, or until the end of the initiative, whichever comes first.
How To Apply
The application packet must include:
- A brief personal statement (500-900 words) that addresses the information below:
- Brief description of the cause/initiative.
- Why this cause matters to the student.
- Why the cause matters to others.
- Description of the student’s advocacy efforts.
- The role the student has taken in advocating for the cause.
- Length and scope of involvement in this cause.
- The impact of these efforts to advance the cause.
- Goals for continued advocacy efforts with this particular cause or initiative.
- An abbreviated CV (no more than 4 pages) highlighting relevant service, leadership, and advocacy efforts.
- A minimum of 2 recommendation/nomination letters by an ASU student, staff, faculty, or community member familiar with the student’s advocacy work.
Applications will be reviewed by a panel of graduate students from various programs/departments at ASU.
The vitae and personal statement should be emailed as a single document (PDF, DOC, or DOCX) to Jesus.Cisneros@asu.edu. Completed application materials must be received by March 31, 2015 at 11:59pm.
Please select an award year: 2013-2014