Council of Presidents Meeting Minutes

The Council of Presidents met on May 24th, 2017.  All were present except Sam (GPSA).  A summary of the discussion:

 

  • Council reviewed ideas from the April retreat for the priorities document.
  • Council discussed budgetary process for the Council of Coalitions.
  • Council reviewed the application and selection process of the University Boards and Committees.

 

President Updates:

  • President Benedict (USGT)
    • Pan Campus Blood Drive – interest high from other USGs
    • Student Vote Initiative with Michele Reagan
    • ABOR Attendance – checking
  • President Dangremond (USGD)
    • Will be attending ABOR
    • Wants to include ASU Sexual Violence Prevention and Education
    • Sun Devil Express review
  • President Snider (USGW)
    • West Consent Week is the second week of September
    • Health and Wellness vending machine in Res. Halls
  • President Anderson (USGP)
    • Has been contacted by Mindful-U; Dr. Krasnow has not heard of this organization.

 

 

The Council of Presidents met on May 31st, 2017  All were present except Julia (USGP).  The discussion included:

 

–       Dean Taylor spent time with Council giving expectations and talking about COP role in leadership at ASU.

–       Council met with Ben Davis and Jason Manning to discuss InfernoFest, student ticketing, and Game Day Events.

–       Council made decision upon recommendation of Missy Pizzo to dissolve the Finance Aid Advisory Board.  Will use an ad hoc committee if needed.

–       Council added Sustainability Advisory and Awareness Board as a new board/committee.   Dan will adjust website.  Larisa will notify all previous applicants of new committee.  Council will also seek out appointees.

–       Council finalized travel plans for NACA Student Government Institutes for USG presidents.

 

 

The ASASU Council of Presidents met on July 5, 2017.  All were present.  The following is a summary of their conversation:

  • Council met with ASU Chief of Police Michael Thompson.
  • Council agreed to split Devils on Mill responsibilities.
  • Council reviewed Board and Committees appointments.
  • Jackson gave an update on PLUS Alliance.
  • Reviewed process for updating budgets.
  • Brittany gave update on Infernofest.
  • Council discussed Child Care grants process and application dates.
  • Julia presented idea for having an ASASU social event at Poly in the fall.
  • Council was given information to obtain all access parking pass.

 

 

The ASASU Council of Presidents met on July 26, 2017.  All were present.  The following is a summary of their conversation:

  • Council met with Stephanie Lindquist, Assoc Provost, about advising and honor code possibility.
  • Dan reminded Council of upcoming speaking engagements. Brittany will get draft to Dan for Fall Welcome.
  • Council reviewed priorities document.

 

 

The ASASU Council of Presidents met on August 2, 2017.  All were present.  The following is a summary of their conversation:

  • Council discussed Devils on Mill. 8-31 Tempe, 9-9 Poly, 9-23 West, 10-14 GPSA, 11-4 Tempe, 11-25 DPC
  • Council discussed plans for Fall ASASU retreat September 9 before football game.
  • Plans for upcoming Infernofest
  • Council discussed on-line ticketing process.
  • Reviewed possibilities for Matt Salmon and state relations staff.
  • Brittany to set up meetings with Coalitions/COP for Fall.

 

 

 

The ASASU Council of Presidents met on August 30, 2017.  All were present.  The following is a summary of their conversation:

  • Council discussed Supreme Court nominations for USG.
  • Council discussed plan for getting the Elections Code approved this year.
  • Plans for speaking and attending Infernofest were reviewed.
  • Council discussed on-line ticketing process and sent ideas to SDA.
  • Council planned efforts for donating to Hurricane relief.

 

 

 

The ASASU Council of Presidents met on September 6, 2017.  All were present except Jackson (excused).  The following is a summary of their conversation:

 

  • Amy Michalenko from Career Services gave an overview of the new career services management system  – Handshake.  Amy encouraged COP to invite her or a local Career Services staff member to senate/assembly meetings to do a similar presentation.  Amy will also coordinate a representative from Princeton Review attend each senate meeting to update on the test prep courses.

 

  • Council discussed supporting Dr. Crow’s letter about DACA and agreed to send out a unified statement of support on social media.  Council also discussed and agreed to support El Concilio/COC letter responding to federal announcement about DACA.

 

  • A video for Texas Flood relief (made by GPSA) reviewed.  Thursday (9/7) is launch of COP campaign to support flood victims with school supplies and diapers.  Changemaker, SDFC and USG/GPSA offices all collection points.  Aaramark is supporting by allowing students to use M&G to donate school supply packages at POD locations.  Looking to get video shown at Infernofest.  Collection will continue until September 28.  Messaging might be adjusted after Hurricane Irma makes landfall.

 

  • Council approved Election Commissioner job description.  Will be posted ASAP and close October 10.  Review of applicants on October 11.  Plan to appoint by November 1.

 

  • Brittany shared unified marketing for recruiting Supreme Court justices – plan to release it on Monday.  Need to confirm justices at senate meetings:  West – Sept 29, Poly – Oct 2, Tempe – Oct 3, Downtown – October 6.

 

  • Detailed plan for the October 9 retreat discussed.  Will be held in Student Pavilion second floor.

 

  • Food ready by 3:30pm, optional tours of Pavilion
  • 4pm – Introduce Presidents and advisors (5 min)
  • Icebreaker (15 min)
  • Review priorities and additions (30min, 6min each)
  • Breakout into departments (20 min) (gov ops, senators w/ senate presidents, vps w/service directors, vpp w/ policy directors, chief of staff w/ PR)
  • Go to Devils on Mill by 5:30pm

 

  • Logo ideas for new ASASU logo to be discussed next week.  Bring examples.

 

  • On September 20, Council will meet with Dr. Lindquist (Honor Code) and Steve Miller (state lobbying including Tri-University Day).  VVPs encouraged to attend portion of meeting with Steve Miller.

 

  • Council was asked to continue pushing messages for Infernofest and football game tickets.

 

 

The ASASU Council of Presidents met on September 13, 2017.  All were present.  The following is a summary of their conversation:

 

  • Council met with Dr. Rund and Safali.  Discussion items included the AG lawsuit with ABOR and continued discussion of University response for DACA.
  • Council reviewed hurricane relief campaign.  Sam will lead and each USG president will appoint a student to work with Sam.  Deadline extended to Nov 1.   Aaramark sent approval for POD donation program today.
  • Reminder to advertise for USG Supreme Court.  Need to confirm justices at senate meetings:  West – Sept 29, Poly – Oct 2, Tempe – Oct 3, Downtown – October 6.
  • Reviewed Sept 9 retreat.  All thought it was successful.
  • On September 20, Council will meet with Dr. Lindquist (Honor Code).  Steve Miller moved to Sept 27(state lobbying including Tri-University Day).  VVPs encouraged to attend portion of meeting with Steve Miller.
  • Council approved Child Care Grant report from Family Resources Committee.  111 grants awarded.
  • Council discussed ideas for a DACA fundraising event.
  • Reminder to promote President Crow Forum.

 

The ASASU Council of Presidents met on September 20, 2017.  All except Jackson were present.  The following is a summary of their conversation:

 

Council met with Dr. Lindquist and Brittany about Honor Codes.  Discussion items included new Academic Integrity committee and honor codes.  COP agreed to take lead in drafting an honor code by Spring Break.

Brittany reviewed ideas for Nov 15 DACA event.

Reminder to advertise for USG Supreme Court.  Need to confirm justices at senate meetings:  West – Sept 29, Poly – Oct 2, Tempe – Oct 3, Downtown – October 6.

Steve Miller moved to Sept 27(state lobbying including Tri-University Day).  VVPs encouraged to attend portion of meeting with Steve Miller at 12:30pm in Fulton.

Council reviewed numbers for student tickets to Oregon game.  Need to push out messaging to increase attendance.

Council asked to let Larisa know who COP has trained for Boards/Committees (those who didn’t attend one of the formal orientations).

Sam asked for assistance from USGs in getting nominations for the Teaching Excellence Awards.  She sent information on Tuesday.

Council met with two representatives from UCEE – Undocumented Students for Education and Equity.  Tentatively agreed to assist with an event on Oct 4 targeting AG lawsuit.  COP will confirm after ABOR next week.

Brittany sought a room for a male student attending ABOR.  Council reminded to work with advisors to submit CONCUR travel requests for ABOR.

Council needs to work with Dan/Larisa to pick up leftover Fall Welcome Shirts no later than Friday.

 

The ASASU Council of Presidents met on September 27, 2017.  All were present.  The following is a summary of their conversation:

 

Council discussed plan for developing Honor Codes.  Updated timeline to having draft finished by end of semester.  Council will get ideas from execs and senates to revisit on October 18.

Brittany reviewed iNov 15 DACA event.  PAB has decided not to participate.  Meeting about the event this afternoon.

Council discussed proposal from UCEE – still determining how to assist with an event on Oct 4 targeting AG lawsuit.  COP will confirm after ABOR meetings.

Reminder to respond to Legends Lunch invite.  Sam, Jackson, Julia plan to attend.

USG Supreme Court confirmations in progress.

Brittany reported that SDA is looking for ways to have NCAA events on all locations.

Jackson reported stand still from UNSW and KINGS on PLuS Alliance.  Dan will contact leaders/advisors to get going again.

Focus groups for affinity data in process.  Dates set for Tempe, GPSA.  Dates for West, Polytechnic and Downtown in process.

Reviewed who is attending ABOR.  Reminded Council to let me know if any call to the audience speeches planned.

Council met with Julie Kipper and student reps from SDFC to discuss wellness promotion and programs.

Steve Miller met with Council and VPPs about University lobbying.  He encouraged strong presence at AZ legislature and ASU Day at the Capitol.  Was supportive of a tri-university day.  Stephanie Salazaar being trained to assist ASASU with efforts.  Steve will come back at end of October with updates.

 

The ASASU Council of Presidents met on November 1, 2017.  All were present except Jackson [excused].  This is a summary of the discussion.

 

Anne Patterson-James (and student Reagan) presented strategy for this year’s Student Shine Contest.  Entries will be accepted Dec 1-Jan 31.  Target selection of recipients week of February 9th.  COP will serve as judges and help market the program.

Jim O’Donnell and Jennifer Duvernay reviewed several updates for University Libraries including new digital system, Hayden construction, overnight deliveries, and shifting inventory.  COP agreed to assist with marketing strategies as Hayden begins construction in early 2018.

Brittney asked Council about Tapingo (app offering discounts for food deliveries).  Tapingo has national relationship with Aramark. Positive feedback from all campuses.

President Crow Forum scheduled for November 14.

ASASU day supporting men’s & women’s basketball scheduled for November 19

Council reviewed meeting with Dr. Rund, Dr. Krasnow regarding student health services.

 

The ASASU Council of Presidents met on November 29, 2017.  All were present.  This is a summary of the discussion:

 

–       Council met with 365 Community Union (stadium) project leaders (Colleen Jennings-Roggensack, Wayne, Lindsey Campbell) and received update on the project and identified ways Council could assist.

–          Council met with Dean Terri Pipe, Chief Wellness Officer and reviewed strategies and projects being worked on by Dean Pipe’s area.

–          Council outlined needs for the Donor Dinner for DACA scholarships

o   Meeting with USEE, El Concilio

o   Food/Bar, Event Space, Marketing, Centerpieces/Décor

o   Budget – targeting $1600 from each government  – let everyone know by Friday at 5pm

o   Ticket prices $850 table of 10/$100 single ticket

o   Printed and on-line invitation

o   Program development (speakers, Herberger, etc.)

–          President Crow inviting COP to an executive committee meeting on 12/7 to review priorities

–          Next meeting – 12/6 – meet with Dr. Rund finalize commitment to health fee

–          Bowl Game – COP tentatively agreed to fund up to $3500 if Sun Bowl, $5000 if Vegas Bowl

–          Election Code – discussed importance of getting Senate Presidents and Gov Ops Chairs to work together

–          Jackson to start google doc for strategies with implementing health fee

 

The ASASU Council of Presidents met on December 6, 2017.  All were present.  Here is a summary of their agenda:

 

The President Crow Forum dates were scheduled:  Thursday, February 1, 1:00-2:00 at the West Campus, and Thursday March 22, 2:00-3:00

Council met with Dr. Rund, Dean Taylor and Safali.  Council discussed:

o   updates, strategies and timeline for increasing the Health Fee;

o   update about DACA Scholarship Donor Dinner, slated for Jan 30;

o   concern from CIS and grad students to provide legal advice/service – Council to explore better marketing with law school, testing level of demand, provide on-going educational workshops;

o   the student regent/leadership philosophy on tuition setting;

o   Dr. Rund discussed some points that may arise as part of the athletic fee review process (student experience, double inferno).

Weekly meeting with Pres/VPPs and ASU Gov Relations to begin in January.  Tasha will identify time.  Stephanie Salazar would like to set up indivual campus meetings with each Pres/VPP in early Jan.  Send Dan times that work;

Council discuss progress on Elections Code – Brittany asked to get a full USG Senate meeting scheduled;

Council identified people to meet with in January:  Arnold Maltz/University Senate; Student Regents; SDA; ASU Gov’t Relations team; Dr. Fred Corey (updates on advising); Dr. Krasnow; Dean Taylor/Jodi Preudhomme (Title IX questions);

Brittany updated Council on ASU Day of Giving progress including potential partnership with Aramark;

Council scheduled to meet with Dr. Crow’s Executive Committee on Thursday about University Priorities;

Tasha updated Council on progress of reintroducing bus stops shelters;

Sam updated Council on some of the progress with national issues (tax bill, Title IX, student loans).

 

The ASASU Council of Presidents met on January 23, 2018.  All were present.  Here is a summary of the discussion:

 

–        Council confirmed details for Feb 1 President Crow Forum.

–        Council discussed ASU Day at the Capital, Feb 14 11a-1:30p.  VPPs/External Affairs have been asked to organize the display tables.

–        Council met with Dr. Arnold Maltz, President University Senate regarding task force/feedback for I and O Courses.

–        Council discussed DACA Donor Dinner rescheduled for Feb 27.  Plans in motion.

–        Council discussed Health Fee – reviewed timeline, set open forums, Jackson working with Safali on talking points, Jackson/Julia creating PowerPoint for forums.

–        Council reviewed needs for Assistant Election Commissioners for Tempe, GPSA and Downtown.

–        Council reminded to push out basketball and other athletic events on social media.

 

 

The ASASU Council of President met on January 30, 2018.  All were present:

 

  • Council reviewed plans for Day at the Capitol.
  • Council strategized next steps for the Health Fee increase. Reviewed which government votes when.
  • Corey will attend a future meeting to discuss new advising programs.

 

 

 

The ASASU Council of Presidents met on February 6, 2018.  All were present.  Here is a summary of the discussion:

-Health Fee – reviewed Poly Forum, all forums on Facebook Live

– ABOR – Brittany plans to talk for “call to audience,” open meeting is now Thursday morning 9:15a-12:30p, Council will connect with Stephanie Salazar

-Donor Dinner – link to donate live, Sam needs list from Safali for invites, meal preferences will be gathered from confirmations, one student will make a “live” painting at the event,

-Karen Purcell from Marketing Hub gave an update on the signage audit project.  Plans to use Poly as a test late Feb.  Downtown and West in March.  Tempe in April.  Asking for a lead for each campus with a team of 5-10 students.

 

The ASASU Council of Presidents met on February 20, 2018.  All were present except Tasha (excused).  Here is a summary of the discussion:

 

–      Council agreed to help UTO market duo factor authentication for financial pages of student portal.

–      Council reviewed all aspects of the Donor Dinner and made appropriate plans to finish implementation.

–      Council reviewed Health Fee results and agreed to move forward.  Jackson will pen the document for Dr. Rund/Dr. Crow.

–      Council brainstormed areas for discussion in the review of the Athletic Fee.

–      Council discussed websites that indicate Milo Y is coming to ASU.  Council unaware of any upcoming event.

–      Council meet with PAB and Sport Club Association for budget discussions.

 

 

The ASASU Council of Presidents met on March 13, 2018.  All were present except Julia (participated in Coalition budget presentation).  This is a summary of the discussion:

 

–    Council met with Council of Coalitions to review the budget report and request.

–    Council met with Dr. Fred Corey about academic advising topics included:

  • Coordinated Advisors – streamlining advising for students with more than one major, minor, certificates
  • Digital Portfolios – over 85,000 users in 6,000 courses
  • Gateway Courses – improving student success factors
  • Advising Portals – using Salesforce to assist with advising
  • Persistence Outlook – creating campaigns to help students persist
  • iGrad – financial wellness modules to help students
  • Study Abroad – advances in international educations
  • iCourse Fees – cost of technologies is increasing; goes for infrastructure of convenience of being able to offer on-line, bandwidth, Amazon Cloud services, high volume technology traffic
  • Adding quarterly meeting with leaders of the Advising Leadership with COP

–    Council met with Dr. Rund and Dean Taylor discussed athletic fee renewal, March Madness Watch Parties

–    Dr. Rund suggested the Council meet with the State Press Editorial Board for a “year in review” conversation.

–   Dan reminded Council to submit budget drafts by close of day Friday.

 

 

The ASASU Council of Presidents met on March 20, 2018.  All were present except Jackson.  This is a summary of the discussion:

 

–    Council discussed their response to the Supreme Court Case.

–    Council reviewed and planned ASASU budget for the meeting with the Deans.

–       Council reviewed the process for the ABOR Tuition Hearing and started writing their response to

be done by Friday morning.

 

 

The ASASU Council of Presidents met on March 27, 2018.  All were present except Sam.  This is a summary of the discussion:

 

  • Council presented the FY19 budgets to Dr. Rund, Safali and the Deans.
  • Council reviewed the rundown for the tuition hearing.
  • Council confirmed attendance for the Pitchfork Awards.  All need to reserve a ticket.
  • Council reminded to contribute to the Athletic Fee document.

 

The ASASU Council of Presidents met on April 3, 2018.  All were present.  This is a summary of the discussion:

–    Council met with UTO about the new comprehensive app for ASU students.

–    Council confirmed attendance for the Pitchfork Awards.  All need to reserve a ticket.

–    Council working on the Athletic Fee document.

–    No meeting with State Relations this week.

–    Transition meeting with new COP on April 24.

–    Council will attend transition retreat with COC and ASASU April 21 retreat at Poly.

 

The ASASU Council of Presidents met on April 10, 2018.  All were present (Sam late, Jackson left early).  This is a summary of the discussion:

–        Council finalized the document for the Athletic Fee renewal.

–        Council met with the JC Porter and discussed ideas for future an improving Walk Only Zones.

–        April 17 meeting will include meeting with Academic Advisor Boards and ASU Marketing HUB (extend to noon)

–        Transition meeting with new COP on April 24.

–        Council will attend transition retreat with COC and ASASU April 21 retreat at Poly.

–        Council met with Dr. Rund and Dean Taylor and discussed Athletic Fee renewal as well as resent AZ Supreme Court ruling on DACA.

 

The ASASU Council of Presidents met on April 17, 2018.  Jackson and Julia were unable to attend.  This is a summary of the discussion:

 

·        Council met with the Academic Advising Board leadership to discuss advising issues and the University Priorities.

·        Council reviewed University Priorities and prepped for the Transition Retreat.

·        Council met with Ann Toca and Jennifer Hightower about status of priority about institutional pride.  Reviews new signage project.  Prioritized adjust Sun Devil Welcome pre-show messaging and installing Sparky statues (or similar) at all locations.

·        Next meeting is transition meeting with old/new COP.

·        One-time fund requests due at next COP meeting – send to Dan before meeting.