Graduate Student Center Gallery
The Graduate Student Center hosts small exhibitions of two-dimensional artworks made, curated, organized and juried by graduate students at ASU. Organized by the Graduate and Professional Student Association.
OPPOSITION – October 9 2012-December 11, 2012
Light and dark, good and bad, Republican and Democrat: opposition is everywhere. Art, too, invites and even thrives on opposites – be they opposing materials or conflicting concepts.
This is an open call to artists to submit artwork related to ideas of conceptual process for group
exhibition. We invite any ASU graduate student to submit work that explores the idea of opposition. Accompanying this work must be a statement describing your process (300 words or less). Exhibition to be held at the Graduate & Professional Student Association Gallery, ASU Tempe campus.
- All current ASU graduate and professional students.
- Open to all media (must be displayed on a wall or shallow shelf). Video or sound mediums are also encouraged.
- Submitted work must be ready to hang.
There is no submission fee.
Artwork cannot be marked for sale.
Artist may submit up to 3 pieces. Submit the following to Ally Glowacki:
- Digital copy of each piece – must be in .jpg format with a maximum dimension of 1000 pixels in each direction.
- Image list describing the art work (title, year of creation, dimensions, and medium) in either .pdf or word .doc file format.
- Artist resume in either .pdf or word .doc file format.
- Artist statement relating work to the theme of the exhibit in either .pdf or word .doc file format.
- Contact info (email, phone).
Artists will receive notice of acceptance by phone or e-mail on or around Monday, October 1, 2012.
- Submission deadline: Wednesday, September 26, 2012
- Notification of acceptance: Monday, October 1, 2012
- Drop off artwork: Monday-Friday, October 1-5, 2012
- Installation of work: Friday-Monday, October 5-8, 2012
- Opening Reception: Tuesday, October 9, 2012
- Show closes: Tuesday, December 11, 2012
- Pickup work: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 (tentative)
COMMODITY: Art in (and) the Marketplace – September 27, 2011-December 6, 2011
The Graduate and Professional Student Association at Arizona State University, Tempe presents our fall 2011 Graduate Student Center gallery juried exhibition. In today’s consumer-driven economy, art is both a commodity and utilizes commodities in its production. This exhibit showcases work engaging the concepts of commodity, economy or value, and investigates interactions between individual creativity and mass production and consumption.
Opening reception Tuesday, September 27, 2011 at 6pm
Featuring work by Carlo Altamirano Allende, Tiffany Bailey, Jamie Bonnell, Mary Klacza, Daniel Leivick, Paul Mack, Blake McConnell, Ann Morton, Katie Poterala, M. Jenea Sanchez, and Rembrandt Quiballo