Individual travel grant rules and guidelines
LOCATION: Tempe Campus
START DATE: July 20th, 2015
P.O. Box 873402
Tempe, AZ 85287-3402
Phone: (480) 727-9870
Any ASU student registered for at least 1 graduate-level credit at the time of application and the time of travel (Summer enrollment not required) may apply for up to $950 per academic year. Travel must be directly related to the applicant’s graduate program of study.
- An application must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM AZ time on the 7th day of the month prior to the month of departure.
- Example: If traveling on October 22, the online application is due no later than September 7th at 11:59 PM AZ time.
- Applications are peer-reviewed monthly, after the 7th. Each month constitutes a travel funding cycle.
- If you apply a month or two before the deadline for your travel, you may choose to re-submit your application if not initially selected.
- Deadlines and completed information are essential to processing requests in a fair and orderly manner. In order to ensure the integrity of the application process, no exceptions will be made to program guidelines or deadlines. GPSA does not fund retroactively. To receive funding, you must apply before you travel.
- GPSA will review applications for travel no earlier than 2 review cycles (2 months) prior to departure.
Effective July 2011: A one-day grace period to the application deadline may be allowed for applicants traveling on the last day of a month to attend an event beginning on the first day of the subsequent month. For example, if traveling on July 31st to attend an event on August 1st, one may still apply by the July 7th deadline.
In most cases, the Travel Grant will cover costs of airfare, fuel/mileage if driving your own vehicle*, ground transportation (taxi, shuttle services, trains, public transportation), hotels/lodging, meals, and event registration.
The cost of your meals will be calculated on your ASU Travel Authorization (TA) form using the daily rate determined by ASU (per diem) for your destination. If you are submitting an electronic TA form, this will be calculated automatically. If you are submitting a paper TA form, this will be done by hand.
The Travel Grant will not cover the cost of rental cars, phone calls, internet access charges, or any expense prohibited by university policy. Expenses paid in cash are not reimbursable. Only pay with credit card or check.
GPSA will not give travel advances for any reason.
If you are planning to drive your own vehicle and request mileage reimbursement, the ASU Travel Dept now requires extra documentation:
- At least 21 days prior to your departure date, you will need to print proof of airfare for your trip, to demonstrate to ASU that your mileage will cost less than flying. The Travel Dept will reimburse drivers for either a) the cost of airfare + $50 estimated ground transportation OR b) the calculated mileage expense, whichever is less.
- If there are less than 21 days until your departure and you decide to drive, simply request an airfare quote for a flight to your destination 21 days from the current date. (It does not matter if the flight on the airfare quote matches your actual departure date.)
Applicants will be notified of the status of their application no later than the 30th of the month prior to their month of departure. If an applicant does not receive an email notification, it is the applicant’s responsibility to inquire of his or her application status. Partial awards may be given.
- Notification emails are sent to applicants approximately two to three weeks after each cycle deadline.
You may receive several travel grants within one year (i.e., July through June), for a maximum annual award of $950.
1.) SUBMIT RECEIPTS:
It is imperative that you follow all instructions in the award letter in order to be reimbursed. Your TA Form must be approved prior to departure. Keep all original receipts for travel and lodging, including conference program documentation if staying at a conference hotel whose rate is higher than the lodging per diem (seeStep 2 above). Hotel receipts must be itemized. If you are sharing a room, you will need proof of hotel occupancy/proof of payment for your share of the hotel bill. Also keep a copy of any event registration forms or other proof of registration payment.
Upon returning from your trip, enter your final expenses on your TA form. If using an electronic TA form, be sure to enter your reimbursable expenses (up to your total award amount) under “actual expenses.” You may need to reduce the amounts so that they do not exceed the total reimbursable (awarded) amount. make copies of all receipts for your records. Submit all original documentation (e.g., airline receipts, hotel bills, ground transportation receipts, conference registration forms, bank/credit card statements) to the Graduate Student Center (CFS Building – Tempe campus) no later than 5 business days after your return. If you do not receive reimbursement within 30 days, contact the Office Manager.
2.) TESTIMONIAL REQUIREMENT:
In addition to abiding by all program guidelines and requirements, grant recipients must agree to provide a brief written statement or sound bite describing how the travel grant contributed to their academic/professional development, for use on the GPSA website and promotional materials. Pictures can also be submitted, but not in lieu of the written or recorded statement. This should be submitted via the Supplementary Documents section of ZoomGrants. You can upload this report as an attachment directly on the ZoomGrants website. You will need to log-in after you are awarded funding and upload this as an attachment.
Additionally, acknowledgment of GPSA support must be included on any academic posters, PowerPoint presentations, or any other materials presented or distributed at a conference or professional development event.
YOU MUST SUBMIT THIS REPORT WITHIN 5 DAYS OF YOUR RETURN FROM YOUR TRAVEL.
Failure in complying may rescind your travel grant.
WHAT TO DO IN YOUR TESTIMONIAL
- Thank GPSA (of course!)
- Tell how this contributes to your research (why it’s needed)
- Tell how this contributes to ASU’s design aspirations
HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR APPLICATION:
- Within the application, provide a well-composed and compelling argument for the significance of your travel and how it relates to success in your graduate program of study
- Demonstrate outstanding current or past service to GPSA, the university, and your field
- Submit a complete and realistic budget
- Ensure that no information is missing from your application, including a valid TA Form number (obtained from the ASU Travel Department at travel.asu.edu)
- In addition, funding priority may be given to applicants who have not been awarded funds in the past. Please note that this is a highly selective grant competition. Correctly completing an application does not ensure funding. Each month, many excellent applications are not selected for the grant because of the large number of requests submitted and the limited availability of funds. We encourage you to submit your application at least two months prior to your travel date. Some months are less competitive than others.
- The GPSA and its administrators are not responsible for technological failure. Technical support can be contacted by visiting the application website.
- The GPSA and its administrators are not responsible for any lost, destroyed, or otherwise delayed applications; for any resulting loss of funds by their own negligence.
- No awards are guaranteed, and the GPSA Vice President of Internal Affairs and Vice President of Professional Development may rescind any travel grant for any reason at any time without prior notification.
- Program guidelines are subject to change at any time, with or without notice.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to communicate with respect towards officers, staff members, or GPSA representatives in all correspondence. If you are unable to comply with this request you will be expelled from participating in all future travel grants for the current academic year. You will then be submitted to the Graduate College for disciplinary action in accordance with ACD125.
- QUESTIONS? Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org