Travel Grant Guidelines
- ASU president approves sexual violence task force recommendations
- Tutors Needed for Face-to-Face Writers’ Studio @ Downtown
- Like GPSA on Facebook and Stay Involved!
- New Graduate Course: Arizona 2050: Sustainability and the Past, Present, and Possible Future of Arizona
- Call for 2015 Outstanding Doctoral Mentor Nominations
LOCATION: Tempe Campus
START DATE: December 03rd, 2014
LOCATION: Tempe campus
START DATE: December 04th, 2014
LOCATION: Phoenix Zoo
START DATE: December 05th, 2014
LOCATION: Arizona State University
START DATE: February 27th, 2015
Any ASU student registered for at least 1 graduate-level credit at the time of application and the time of travel (Summer enrollment not required) may apply for up to $950 per academic year. Travel must be directly related to the applicant’s graduate program of study.
When to Apply
An application must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM AZ time on the 7th day of the month prior to the month of departure. (e.g., if traveling on October 22, the online application is due no later than September 7th at 11:59 PM AZ time.) If you apply a month or two before the deadline for your travel, you may choose to re-submit your application if not initially selected.
Deadlines and completed information are essential to processing requests in a fair and orderly manner. In order to ensure the integrity of the application process, no exceptions will be made to program guidelines or deadlines. GPSA does not fund retroactively. To receive funding, you must apply before you travel.
Notification emails are sent to applicants approximately two to three weeks after each cycle deadline.
Effective July 2011: A one-day grace period to the application deadline may be allowed for applicants traveling on the last day of a month to attend an event beginning on the first day of the subsequent month. For example, if traveling on July 31st to attend an event on August 1st, one may still apply by the July 7th deadline.
In most cases, the Travel Grant will cover costs of airfare, fuel/mileage if driving your own vehicle*, ground transportation (taxi, shuttle services, trains, public transportation), hotels/lodging, meals, and event registration.
The cost of your meals will be calculated on your ASU Travel Authorization (TA) form using the daily rate determined by ASU (per diem) for your destination. If you are submitting an electronic TA form, this will be calculated automatically. If you are submitting a paper TA form, this will be done by hand.
The Travel Grant will not cover the cost of rental cars, phone calls, internet access charges, or any expense prohibited by university policy. Expenses paid in cash are not reimbursable. Only pay with credit card or check.
GPSA will not give travel advances for any reason.
If you are planning to drive your own vehicle and request mileage reimbursement, the ASU Travel Dept now requires extra documentation:
- At least 21 days prior to your departure date, you will need to print proof of airfare for your trip, to demonstrate to ASU that your mileage will cost less than flying. The Travel Dept will reimburse drivers for either a) the cost of airfare + $50 estimated ground transportation OR b) the calculated mileage expense, whichever is less.
- If there are less than 21 days until your departure and you decide to drive, simply request an airfare quote for a flight to your destination 21 days from the current date. (It does not matter if the flight on the airfare quote matches your actual departure date.)
Applications are peer-reviewed monthly, after the 7th. Each month constitutes a travel funding cycle.
Applicants will be notified of the status of their application no later than the 30th of the month prior to their month of departure. If an applicant does not receive an email notification, it is the applicant’s responsibility to inquire of his or her application status. Partial awards may be given.
Strengthening Your Application
- Within the application, provide a well-composed and compelling argument for the significance of your travel and how it relates to success in your graduate program of study
- Demonstrate outstanding current or past service to GPSA, the university, and your field
- Submit a complete and realistic budget
- Ensure that no information is missing from your application, including a valid TA Form number (obtained from the ASU Travel Department at travel.asu.edu)
In addition, funding priority may be given to applicants who have not been awarded funds in the past. Please note that this is a highly selective grant competition. Correctly completing an application does not ensure funding. Each month, many excellent applications are not selected for the grant because of the large number of requests submitted and the limited availability of funds. We encourage you to submit your application at least two months prior to your travel date. Some months are less competitive than others.
You may receive several travel grants within one year (i.e., July through June), for a maximum annual award of $950.
Awardees’ Responsibilities to GPSA
In addition to abiding by all program guidelines and requirements, grant recipients must agree to provide a brief written statement or sound bite describing how the travel grant contributed to their academic/professional development, for use on the GPSA website and promotional materials. This should be submitted along with reimbursement paperwork upon returning from your trip. Also, acknowledgment of GPSA support must be included on any academic posters, PowerPoint presentations, or any other materials presented or distributed at a conference or professional development event.
In 2014-2015 travel grant recipients will be required to submit a testimonial for online distribution and posting. Failure in complying may rescind your travel grant.
What to do in your testimonial
- Thank GPSA
- Tell how this contributes to your research (why it’s needed)
- Tell how this contributes to ASU’s design aspirations
The testimonial must be submitted to the travel grant log within 5 days after your return.
We’re always interested in seeing you in action so if you are so inclined you can submit a picture or video to email@example.com. Place in the subject line “Travel grant log”.
The GPSA and its administrators are not responsible for technological failure. Technical support can be contacted by visiting the application website.
The GPSA and its administrators are not responsible for any lost, destroyed, or otherwise delayed applications; for any resulting loss of funds by their own negligence.
No awards are guaranteed and the GPSA Vice President of Internal Affairs and Vice President of Professional Development may rescind any travel grant for any reason at any time without prior notification.
Program guidelines are subject to change at any time, with or without notice.
Questions regarding this program may be directed to the GPSA Vice President of Internal Affairs.
How to Apply
Applicants are strongly encouraged to communicate with respect towards officers, staff members, or GPSA representatives in all correspondence. If you are unable to comply with this request you will be expelled from participating in all future travel grants for the current academic year. You will then be submitted to the Graduate College for disciplinary action in accordance with ACD125.