Graduate Student Organization / Event Funding
No upcoming events scheduled...
P.O. Box 873402
Tempe, AZ 85287-3402
Phone: (480) 727-9870
Please read the following instructions carefully. All directions must be completed in their entirety. No exceptions will be made to the Funding Policy for any reason.
Graduate Student Organizations (GSOs) may apply for GPSA funding to support ASU events. Applications are limited to $2,000 per event, and may include requests for funding for several events (up to $2,000 each) up to 3 months in advance. All expenses must receive prior approval before purchase to be eligible for reimbursement.
The deadline for GSO Funding applications is on the 7th of the month before the month of your event date. All GSO’s should reach out to their Assembly Sponsor at least five (5) days before submitting a funding application to ensure the Assembly Sponsor has enough time to review and discuss the application material. We suggest applicants contact multiple Assembly Members incase one is unavailable. Summary of a live (phone or in-person) conversation with the sponsoring Assembly Member is a mandatory part of the application, so the earlier applicants connect with an Assembly Member the better.
General Funding Application Process
- Before you start
- Make sure your organization is registered through EOSS and listed on OrgSync.
- Review the Policy and Procedure document for detailed requirements
- Prepare a budget for your event (see the template, small example, large example)
- Contact an Assembly Member to discuss your application and be your sponsor
- Seek other funding sources if your request is over $250, and document efforts
- Get multiple vendor quotes if any line item in your budget is over $350
- Submitting your application
- You will be notified by the Assembly Operations Committee within five (5) business days after the next general Assembly meeting (schedule here) if your application has been approved
- Review the GPSA Assembly Post-Event Funding Packet and prepare required forms
- Your event details will be posted on the GSO Funded Events Calendar
- Submit forms & receipts to the Office Specialist within five (5) business days after your event*
- Designated payees will receive reimbursement in 30-60 days
*Note: If your organization is using a campus vendor, such as Aramark, then order/payment information should be sent via email to the Office Specialist as it is placed with your name and your GSO name. Failure to submit reimbursement materials on time may result in denial of funds.
GPSA considers the number of ASU graduate students served, the level of service offered to the university, the enhancement of student professionalism, and the availability of alternative funding sources when making funding decisions. Although requests for department level events and food for small gatherings will be considered, these are deemed a lower priority to events that appeal to wider audiences of graduate and professional students.
The following events cannot be funded by the Assembly, as per university policy:
- Activities that subsidize any ASU administrative services
- Activities that discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation
- Activities that have already occurred, prior to Assembly approval
- Activities that support referenda or candidates for elected office
- Activities that are limited to a single political partisanship – if you’re turning people away because of a political affiliation we cannot fund you
This list is not all inclusive; please see the Policy and Procedure document for comprehensive details.