Graduate Student Organization / Event Funding
START DATE: January 04th, 2015
LOCATION: Arizona State University
START DATE: February 27th, 2015
LOCATION: Tempe campus
START DATE: February 27th, 2015
There are a variety of Graduate Student Organizations (GSO) at ASU. On this page you will find information on seeking funds to support your organization’s efforts to host events of interest to the graduate community. Events typically funded range from conferences and research symposia to professional development, outreach, or charitable/pro bono events. For example, GSO events often consist of research symposia, conferences, speaker series and colloquia that depend on appropriate uses of GPSA funding for items such as space rental, honorariums, conference materials and other organizational expenses and equipment. Events can be one-time or presented as a series.
GPSA considers the number of ASU graduate students served, the level of service offered to the university, the enhancement of student professionalism, and the availability of alternative funding sources when making funding decisions. Although requests for department level events and food for small gatherings will be considered, these are deemed a lower priority to events that appeal to wider audiences of graduate and professional students. GPSA may fund events up to $2000, provided evidence of attempts to secure matching funds have been made. Note that any expenses incurred prior to approval of the funding request cannot be subsequently reimbursed and no individual student may receive more than $1000 in reimbursement.
What Can’t Be Funded?
The following events cannot be funded by the Assembly, as per university policy:
- Activities that subsidize University administrative services
- Activities that discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation
- Activities that have already occurred, prior to Assembly approval
- Activities that support referenda or candidates for elected office
- Activities that are limited to a single political partisanship
- Requests for salaries, wages, compensation, registrations, conference fees or travel for persons who are members of the requesting group
- Sports activities covered by a club sport account at the Student Recreation Center
- Activities that pose a substantial risk or serious injury or death
- Activities that are in violation of Arizona State University policy
- Capital goods
- Any Event or item used directly by the Graduate Student Organization (“GSO”) to make a profit
- Travel (travel for students must be applied for through the GPSA Travel Grant Fund)
- Reimbursement will not occur for the following items: Alcohol, Flowers, Gifts, Food purchased outside of University guidelines, Parking tickets or fines.
- NEW – Airline travel costs for invited guests or speakers (Note: it is permissible, however, for the guest to pay for his or her own airfare and receive reimbursement in the form of an Honorarium)
Please be sure to read all rules and guidelines before submitting your application, available in the GPSA Assembly Event Funding Policy and Procedure document. Applications must be filed electronically using the form below–you must be signed into MyASU to access the form. Early applications are encouraged.
In order to apply, your application MUST be sponsored by a current GPSA Assembly Member. You must have this person’s permission BEFORE applying for funds. We strongly recommend working closely with your sponsor to ensure your application is filled out correctly. If an organization fails to comply with this policy, their application will be automatically rejected; no exceptions can be made. To find and contact an Assembly member, go to the Assembly members page. Email the assembly member at least 5 days prior to when you plan to submit your application to ensure there is time for the assembly member to respond to your request. If you have trouble contacting an assembly member, contact the Assembly President.
The form to apply for GSO funding is available online, please click here.
Attendance at Assembly Operations Committee Meetings
Applications are reviewed by the GPSA Assembly Operations Committee and final funding decisions are approved by the full GPSA Assembly. The applicant or another representative of the organization must attend the GPSA Assembly Operations Committee meeting to introduce the request for funds, give a description of the event, and answer any questions from Assembly or Committee members. Make sure your group’s representative is ready to present the details of the event to the Assembly Operations Committee. Meetings will be held the Thursday prior to Assembly Meetings at 12:00 p.m. (noon) at the Tempe Graduate Student Center.
Reimbursement and Post-Funding Report
If you’re funded, please read the GPSA Assembly Post-Event Funding Packet before making any payment/purchase. This packet contains necessary information (including forms). Also, please contact GPSA’s Office Specialist Sr to troubleshoot any purchasing questions/concerns.
In order to receive reimbursement from GPSA, you must submit a post-event funding report (included in the Funding Packet) along with all itemized receipts and other required documentation.
Sample GSO Budget (If you are unsure how to create a budget, here is an example.)
GPSA Assembly Event Funding Policy (Read prior to applying.)
GPSA Assembly Post-Event Funding Packet (Read after being awarded and before your event.)