Please read the following instructions carefully. All directions must be completed in their entirety. No exceptions will be made to the Funding Policy for any reason.
Graduate Student Organizations (GSOs) may apply for GPSA funding to support ASU events. Applications are limited to $2,000 per event, and may include requests for funding for several events (up to $2,000 each) up to 3 months in advance. All expenses must receive prior approval before purchase to be eligible for reimbursement.
The deadline for GSO Funding applications is on the 1st of the month before the month of your event date. Starting in August the deadline for GSO Funding applications is on the 1st of the month before the month of your event date. All GSO’s should reach out to their Assembly Sponsor at least five (5) days before submitting a funding application to ensure the Assembly Sponsor has enough time to review and discuss the application material. We suggest applicants contact multiple Assembly Members incase one is unavailable. Summary of a live (phone or in-person) conversation with the sponsoring Assembly Member is a mandatory part of the application, so the earlier applicants connect with an Assembly Member the better.
General Funding Application Process
- Before you start
- Make sure your organization is registered through EOSS and listed on OrgSync.
- Review the GSO Funding Information document. For a detailed information on all policies, review the Policy and Procedure document for detailed requirements.
- Prepare a budget for your event (see the template, small example, large example)
- Contact an Assembly Member to discuss your application and be your sponsor. An in-person meeting is not required; email correspondence is fine to secure sponsorship from an Assembly Member.
- Seek other funding sources if your request is over $250, and document efforts
- Get multiple vendor quotes if any line item in your budget is over $350
- Submitting your application
- Complete the online GSO Funding form
- Attend the monthly GPSA Assembly Operations Committee’s Funding Review Board session (see below for schedule). Either you or another officer in your GSO must present your application in person.
- You will be notified by the Assembly Operations Committee within five (5) business days after the next general Assembly Meeting (schedule here) if your application has been approved
- Review the GPSA Assembly Post-Event Funding Packet and prepare required forms
- Submit an Event Request Form to have your event featured on the GPSA website. This is REQUIRED for all GSO events that receive funding from GPSA.
- NOTE: If your GSO receives funding from GPSA, you are required to meet with the GPSA Office Specialist.
- If the date of your event changes, you must notify GPSA Assembly President Pro Tempore as soon as possible. You must notify us BEFORE the date of your event to receive reimbursement. Note: date changes cannot be before the month that your GSO received funding for.
*Note: If your organization is using a campus vendor, such as Aramark, then order/payment information should be sent via email to the Office Specialist as it is placed with your name and your GSO name. Failure to submit reimbursement materials on time will result in denial of funds. As of August 2017, GPSA will now process all payments to Aramark directly.
Assembly Operations Meeting Schedule
GSO Application due dates (by 11:59pm)
- July 7, 2017
- August 1, 2017
- September 1, 2017
- October 1, 2017
- November 1, 2017
- December 1, 2017
- January 1, 2018
- February1, 2018
- March 1, 2018
- April 1, 2018
Assembly Operations Meetings (held in the GSC from 1 – 2pm)
- July 14, 2017 (Friday)
- August 17, 2017 (Thursday)
- September 15, 2017 (Friday)
- October 13, 2017 (Friday)
- November 3, 2017 (Friday)
- December 8, 2017 (Friday)
- January 12, 2018 (Friday)
- February 9, 2018 (Friday)
- March 13, 2018 (Tuesday), 11:30 am – 12:30 pm
- April 11, 2018 (Wednesday)
GPSA considers the number of ASU graduate students served, the level of service offered to the university, the enhancement of student professionalism, and the availability of alternative funding sources when making funding decisions. Although requests for department level events and food for small gatherings will be considered, these are deemed a lower priority to events that appeal to wider audiences of graduate and professional students.
The following events cannot be funded by the Assembly, as per university policy:
- Activities that subsidize any ASU administrative services
- Activities that discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation
- Activities that have already occurred, prior to Assembly approval
- Activities that support referenda or candidates for elected office
- Activities that are limited to a single political partisanship – if you’re turning people away because of a political affiliation we cannot fund you
This list is not all inclusive; please see the GSO Funding Information document for comprehensive details.
Note: Due to holidays and office closures, we cannot fund events between 12/22/17 and 1/1/18.
Assembly President – Claire Crowther