Arijit Guha Graduate Student Advocacy Awards
No upcoming events scheduled...
P.O. Box 873402
Tempe, AZ 85287-3402
Phone: (480) 727-9870
The Graduate and Professional Student Association (GPSA) proudly announces the Arijit Guha Graduate Student Advocacy Awards. These awards are designed to recognize and reward ASU graduate students’ involvement, service, and leadership in advancing a particular cause through advocacy efforts.
The Arijit Guha Graduate Student Advocacy Award is in memory of an ASU graduate student, Arijit Guha, who was taken by colon cancer. Arijit brought unprecedented attention to the issue of coverage caps in student health care through his Poopstrong campaign. He raised over $100,000 for his treatment through this viral grassroots efforts which was led by graduate students at ASU. Upon finding the coverage he needed for his treatment, he donated thousands of dollars to local nonprofits and research centers dedicated to fighting cancer.
GPSA will provide two monetary awards to students enrolled in a graduate or professional program who demonstrate excellence in their advocacy efforts to advance a particular cause. Preference will be given to advocacy efforts carried out since January 2014. Participation in any cause is acceptable. Some examples include hunger, poverty, student debt, education, research funding, open education, human rights, immigrant rights, peace, etc. The awards reward students’ excellence in advocating for a cause, and are not intended to reward a cause itself. Each award totals $500 monetary participation award. The Arijit Guha Graduate Student Advocacy recipients will be honored during a GPSA reception in April 2016.
All current graduate and professional students, across all four campuses, are eligible for these awards. The application deadline will be
Monday, February 15…Extended to Monday, February 22, 2016! Applicants are encouraged to continue their advocacy efforts well beyond the application deadline.
- Complete ZoomGrants Awards Application. The following documents are also uploaded into ZoomGrants.
- If you are applying for more than one award, you will need to create an additional alias. The software program will only allow one award to be submitted per email address, in order to prevent duplicate applications.
- You can create an alias through your MyASU by going to Profile -> Contact Details -> Public Email -> Click the pen sign beside Current alias and create a different alias like Alias1. Your email will now be Alias1@asu.edu.
- A Current CV (4 page maximum) focused on service, leadership, and advocacy. Please do not include your name on the CV, as we try to maintain a blind review process.
- Two letters of reference from community or faculty members
Applications will be reviewed by a panel of graduate students from various programs/departments at ASU.
To apply, enter ZoomGrants and please complete the application form.
GPSA Awards Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please select an award year: 2013-2014