GPSA Action Alert
No upcoming events scheduled...
Call Congress Day
Why are we calling Congress?
- Graduate/Professional students are no longer eligible for the in-school federal subsidy as a result of the Budget Control Act of 2011.
- The 2012-2013 school year was the first time in history that graduate students were charged a higher rate than undergraduates to take out unsubsidized Stafford loans.
- Decreased research funding requires graduate/professional students increasingly rely on student loans.
- Over 40% of graduate/professional students enter school with debt from undergraduate degrees and the increased interest rates only compound our debt level.
- Not only do graduate students conduct innovative research, but graduate instructors also help keep undergraduate education affordable.
What do we want?
We are asking Congress to
- reunify student loan interest rates with that of undergraduate students and
- reinstate the the federal subsidy for graduate student loans that was removed in 2012.
How can you participate?
Take a couple of minutes to join GPSA on this day of action and make a call to your Senator and Congressperson now. You can share your personal story of how student debt impacts you and/or use this script as a guide. Your voice matters!